Thanks for the info Charles.

I must have something wrong in my rebuild of the dtb file.
I have no pin entries under /sys/class/gpio.
I'll look around in /sys/kernel/debug/pinctl to see what the current config
settings are.

All my searches on this forum and the web turn up examples for the 3.8 kernel
and cape manager.
I've found references to configuring the GPIO pins under 3.14, but no examples
or explainations of where changes can be verified.
Cape Manager under 3.8 is documented very well.

I found the repository for config-pin, but apt-cache search turned up nothing
for installing it.
Do I need to compile the source from the repo on the BBB to get config-pin?

Thanks for the info.