As I understand

USB 2.0 will cause 8000 interrupts in 1 seconds , an interrupt  per 125us
while read / write will cause some spin lock , specially ,when your write .

And erase 1 nand block will cause several millisecond
so when you write the usb stick . you always get no useful spin lock wait ,
but you can not skip it

what you can do is

Buy a faster speed usb stick . [?]