That bit about only being able to mux a specific mode's signal (e.g.
I2C2_SDA or I2C2_SCL) to one pin at a time is the clincher. I didn't feel
it vital to state in my intro post but turning off the default I2C2 bus
pins would mean losing the Seeed I2C2 Grove connector (which is connected
to P9-19 and 20) on the BeagleBone Green. Since that port is also in use
for my demos, a software solution is just not in the cards for working
around my poor design decision.

I'll brush up on my PCB rework skills as you discussed and push forward
with the intent to come back to learning about the BeagleBone's device tree
system at a later date.

Thanks for your help, Graham and wish me luck!