Create the file .muttrc eg in /root/ or in /home/debian/ (the user
that wants to use mutt....) and add a line
set smtp_url="smtp://user:passw...@smtp.someserver.com"
And don't forget the return after this line. (as in crontab as well)

* * * * * root ls /somefolder  | mutt -s ""  someu...@someserver.com 2>&1

BTW: didn't you read my Email where i worte that you can redirect
crontabs output into a file:
* * * * * root ls /somefolder >> /root/crontab_err.txt 2>&1

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAK4vXrvY0dMoVDpq9xSKj9%2BAw%2BYSaWr-0tzkH3UK2Q6iCtS0Xg%40mail.gmail.com.