I've made some progress but I still can't get any sound from the codec. I
tried the two approaches suggested by Rick M earlier on this thread:

1) To use this <http://pastebin.com/vny3wpnq> dtb by Rick M and the audio
cape overlay, and 2) to use this
<https://gist.github.com/RobertCNelson/fe8abb7fe11121f0a8c2c0afb291b339>
dtb (by RobertCNelson) with no overlay. In both cases I have the same
apparent outcome: I can see I2C and I2S signals being driven by the BBB
when I use aplay or speaker-test but I can't see any analog signal coming
out of the codec.

I have played around with alsamixer, I have deleted
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state, used the one from here
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CircuitCo/BeagleBone-Audio/files/asound.state>

and no luck...

I guess the next step would be to check the driver code and the codec
datasheet to try to figure out what might be wrong. I found the code for
the driver here
<https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/v4.4/sound/soc/codecs/tlv320aic31xx.c>
(is that it?) but I have no experience in kernel-land development so I'm
not sure what the compiling/debugging workflow would be...  My initial
questions are:

1. How do you compile and install the driver/module without recompiling and
installing the whole kernel?
2. How does the driver code integrates with the device tree system? I can't
see anyting in the driver code that suggests it's taking values or it's
functions are being called from the dtb or the overlay.
3. What is the simplest 'log' function callable from kernel land and where
do I see the output?

Any advice on  this would be appreciated!

:)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/78d35232-c66d-49e8-841c-f77f99e5e368%40googlegroups.com.