I am updating our project page for an advanced remotely controlled audio
system using the BBB and a Maxim Codec 98089.   We use a different method
for alsa-soc than most. Our DTB driver only uses I2S and no I2C control
mechanism is included in it. We think this makes the I2S routine cleaner
and less error prone.  We then use FTDI over USB to send our commands to
the codec.  We will be releasing the driver to the BBB community in a few
days.  But you can learn a lot of what we are doing now at our project
page.
Perhaps as other developers learn more, alsa-soc may one day only need
platform specifics and allow any I2S codec to be used and the only thing
one needs to change are routines that call I2C commands or in our example
FTDI commands from user space.

https://sites.google.com/site/hdpoint1/home

Jay

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/84f41696-2c28-4148-b318-425eb0da903e%40googlegroups.com.