Hi,

If you want to use a kernel version >= 3.8, you are obliged to use a DTS
(Device tree source) in order ton configured the GPIO.
And I advised you to use one because It's important to be on page :-)

I like lots of microcontroller, you always need to configured pins before
using them, here, the way is to use the overlay (mean that they are load
when the board is steal running) ;-).
The video that you posted is a good example, you can also check the
associate website : http://exploringbeaglebone.com/chapter6/  where you can
download source code and so on ^_^.

Have a lovely day !
Enjoy