What is the reason for the nofail option in /etc/fstab?

Any reason you can't format the drive as ext4?  I've seen articles claiming
serious performance benefits for USB drives as ext4 instead of ntfs.

I'm doing similar on a Raspberry Pi2 with Jessie and have had no such
issues, but I have a weird one in that the system immediately crashes back
to "emergency" mode if I try to run it headless (no mouse/keyboard).

Is the USB drive powered separately or from the USB bus?  It could be a
power glitch issue as I don't think the Beaglebones can supply a lot of USB
power.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/937d956f-403f-42f9-8013-6f4e99b4c2a1%40googlegroups.com.