On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 7:03 AM, Steven Johnson <strnty...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 11:03:50 PM UTC+7, William Hermans wrote:
> > Looks good, but whats the BOM cost ?
> >

> Thanks, I am pleased with it so far.  As for BOM cost...  well I hand
> built the first 6 boards myself  and at that qty BOM cost is prohibitive.
>
> Also the board is small, I know there will be an expectation its cheap.
> The problem is that expectation is based on people being able to buy 4 port
> hubs retail for $5.  Buy a million of my hub and I can probably build them
> for that too.
>
> So BOM cost is an issue I'm working on.  As is production cost.  All of
> which are difficult to solve at low volumes.  That said I wouldn't announce
> this board if I didn't have a plan to build it economically.  So bear with
> me and after I work out all the details I hope to announce a shipped price
> that is acceptable to most.
>
> A secondary consideration is being able to produce it at the same/similar
> price for the forseable future.  Thats also an issue for me.  Too many
> projects are single runs because they can not get enough volume for a 3rd
> or 4th batch.  If my plan works out that shouldn't be a problem for this
> board.

Actually, I suppose BOM is not so important to me, with the way that I'm
thinking. But where i was going with this is that the BBG's come with 4 USB
ports already, so for one off designs it might behoove a hobbyist to just
buy a BBG. However, for a production system that needs to meet more than a
few 10's of boards, I can see where this could ideal. But then the question
would be does one really need HDMI, and whatever else the beagleobne black
offers over the green ?

So I suppose the question should be: What does this offer that one can not
achieve by using a BBG ?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqxqrSDBu59ep9WN-_Tv02qXts0TChcwAASpq17jgBbqQ%40mail.gmail.com.