Does the BBB use the TPS65217 RTC to keep system time while powered, but
not synchronized to any NTP server?

I'm not looking to maintain time between boots, just want to know the
accuracy of the BBB system time while powered and not connected to the
internet.

I've tried searching, but all results point to various ways of adding an
external battery backed RTC.

If the TPS65217 RTC is used automatically by the OS, that would be great,
but we've noticed that some units don't keep time very well (ex: 1 min/15
hours or worse).

I'm using the following base image:
Debian GNU/Linux 8
rcn-ee.net console Debian Image 2016-02-11
4.1.18-ti-rt-r53 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Mar 17 19:41:07 UTC 2016 armv7l
GNU/Linux

One of the changes I made was to use chrony as the time daemon. Perhaps
I've misconfigured it that may result in bad time keeping.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/fa2b6398-cc82-47ac-9144-1001aeb95f8a%40googlegroups.com.