IMHO the simplest way to do it is setup a free Gmail account and enable
imap/pop support on it.  Then install mutt on your BBB and configure it to
send the email through Gmail.  Then on the BBB do something like

system("echo 'No Heartbeat:' `/bin/date` | /usr/bin/mutt -s ' Problem!' --
user@domain. ; rm $HOME/sent");

Google Mutt and Raspberry Pi, there are lots of good tutorials, the mutt
setup is the same for the BBB as it is for the Pi.  I'm using it on both my
BBW and Rpi2.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/20f711a8-09c0-46e6-b321-3c2ad8202c6e%40googlegroups.com.