Hi ,

We have purchased a few Mentorel BeagleBone uSomIQ development kits. They
have the 3.8.13-bone72 kernel on there.

Due to some USB issues we have with this version of the  kernel, I was able
to recompile the v4.5.7-bone4 using Robert Nelson's instructions (
https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black) and make a new SD
card image. I was able to boot our mentorel dev kit off the image on this
SD card.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the UARTs, i2c and some digital IO to work on
this modified setup. (NOTE: with 3.8.13-bone72 kernel these buses work
fine). So to enable the overlays here is what I do on the newly compiled
image.

1. Execute the following lines...
export PINS=/sys/kernel/debug/pinctrl/44e10800.pinmux/pins

export SLOTS=/sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots

sudo sh -c "echo BB-ADC > $SLOTS"
sudo sh -c "echo BB-I2C1 > $SLOTS"
sudo sh -c "echo BB-UART1 > $SLOTS"
sudo sh -c "echo BB-UART2 > $SLOTS"
sudo sh -c "echo BB-UART4 > $SLOTS"

2. cat /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots
 0: PF----  -1

 1: PF----  -1

 2: PF----  -1

 3: PF----  -1

 4: P-O-L-   0 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-ADC

 5: P-O-L-   1 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-I2C1

 6: P-O-L-   2 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART1

 7: P-O-L-   3 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART2

so it appears the overlays got enabled ok. But, the /dev folder does not
have all the files I was expecting. I don't see a iio:devices0, ttyO1,
ttyO2 or ttyO4. And when I try to write to  the i2c device I get errors
that I don't see when I use the original sw that came with the board.
It seems like I might have some incompatibilities in the components in the
image I created.

Please suggest any solution

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAP3%2BTEoTsHrGnaoyFPRAWcw%3DHoJW_f3yEHkWLJCvO%2B178KDXXQ%40mail.gmail.com.