As with anything else computer related. You should be mindful of where you
get your OS images from. Clearly the one the OP is working with is not a
standard "official" image. Since Robert has not built any using a FAT
partition in quite some time. As in more than a year ago.

So in order to get better help. You should be contacting the people from
where you got your image from. As no one here is likely familiar with that
image. Unless the person who created it also lurks here.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORon8n_Nq9aaqenEY7HHOgbMSA-XVSv%3DJCLqaro2ZAbGfw%40mail.gmail.com.