zImage is the old way Robert *used* to build kernels. As in . . .
http://www.embeddedhobbyist.com/2013/07/beaglebone-black-usb-boot/ Look
towards the bottom where I discuss mkimage. But anyway that post I made way
back in july 2013, and it's very outdated. It's not how things are done any
more.

But quite honestly I really do not understand the kernel images in depth,
so perhaps as I'm an applications developer. Not a kernel developer.
Granted with a good bit of low level software experience too .  . .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORrOYteuC96-JHAmRCp9oDupj3v-pbVzHXc70S-uemOgoQ%40mail.gmail.com.