Additionally, the beaglebone does have at least one USB port that can run
USB gadget devices on it, g_ether comes to mind( USB network interface ).
Or you *could* just use the ethernet port. Or(again ! ) you could use a USB
to UART cable. Such as the serial debug cable( and tty device on the
beagelbone ).

Then the idea becomes writing  client / server app(s) for which the sky is
the limit.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqcWNW%2BDCVav4xUJJAs4MsG4z0mDNFwiXbwGKn66mNeaQ%40mail.gmail.com.