On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 2:49 AM, sajeevan k <sajeev...@laxven.com> wrote:

> After I enter startx in the command prompt of my desktop (ie
> root@beaglebone:~#) the following messages appearing in the display of my
> desktop.
>

> root@beaglebone:~# startx
>

> X.Org X Server 1.16.4
> (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
> Screen 0: minimum 1280 x 720, current 1280 x 720, maximum 1280 x 720
> default connected 1280x720+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>    1280x720       0.00

So here you're running the xrandr command and getting output from it, right?

> Here the important point is that, now in my desktop terminal, I cannot enter
> the xrandr command, because there is no command prompt  ( ie # ) in the
> terminal.

OK, so the terminal program is not set up right. I see that you're
using openbox, which is a window manager.
I am not familiar with it, so I don't know what do you do in openbox
to start programs, but you need to start a terminal emulator and
arrange for a shell to be run within that emulator. This is normally
done automatically, but clearly in your case something is choking up.
I don't know what terminal emulators are available on your system, but
you need something like xterm, gtkterm or lxterm. Perhaps
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=155127 has some advice that
you could use.

> Now as Przemek suggested, I included the command 'xrandr' in ~/.xinitrc,
> before ./simpleQt (name of my simple Qt application).
>
> But the execution of this command is observed in either desktop display or
> display connected to BBB.

See above---the execution of your xrandr outputs the information about
your screen.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAC%3D1GgFLoh%2BsP93WZM0Aok5Rz1YpzcmHhOYsx4GTLJnMR-owsQ%40mail.gmail.com.