You need to understand how the pins are configured when defined in the
devicetree. It is the driver that does the pin configuration as defined in the
devicetree. Without an associated driver, the pins defined in the devicetree
won’t do anything. When using PRU, there is no driver, so the pins don’t get
configured and hence that is why pinmux-helper is necessary.

Regards,
John

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/E6A2E452-2FE6-426F-8975-467FACE5415E%40gmail.com.