so, while I'm able to create an SD card image for my build, when I try to
flash another beaglebone by holding down the user button, the error occurs
(as explained above). However, with one version of the SD card image, while
the SD card is loaded and booted, I'm able to
run  /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh and the eMMC flashes.
I think there's a bug somewhere while trying to execute that file. It's odd
because I ran the beaglebone-black-eMMC-SD-card-flasher code to create
another SD card image, and I wasn't able to boot from SD card.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/2aa3228d-6d82-46bc-a365-f2b1b1f1cf02%40googlegroups.com.