Well I did a little workaround and made a script that will init the GPIO
via sysfs in the way I want at system start. But I donĀ“t need to set the
pinmux via the overlay for that as far as i know.
echo "61" > /sys/class/gpio/export               #set gpio61 P8_26
echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio61/direction    #set gpio61 as output
echo "1" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio61/value          #set gpio61 to high

The fragment@1 I mentioned seems to affect
/sys/kernel/debug/pinctrl
But I still dont understand what it actually does.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/56bd9ec5-ba9b-4bcc-aa75-2364397755ce%40googlegroups.com.