are you aware that the eMMC chip is a ball-grid package? It's possible to
unsolder it, of course, with skill and hot-air repair station. I am not
sure if the boot sequence stops on failing to detect the eMMC presence ; I
suspect it's possible to force the SD boot using the usual keypresses that
work with eMMC present.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAC%3D1GgFP3e541TC7aB9OZko5G1dqi3yR%2BQ3FVjO9pphe5TsshQ%40mail.gmail.com.