I'm a newbie, so take this with a grain of salt or as comic relief for the
experts on this website.

I don't completely understand what you're trying to do, but it sounds like
the kernel some how contains/flashes MLO/u-boot.img???

But maybe you can generate SD Card which contains everything you need (e.g.
MLO, u-boot.img, kernel, fs, uEnv.txt) and then uncomment the appropriate
line within uEnv.txt to convert that into a flasher image, and subsequently
flash the eMMC...

Instructions for where to get EVERYTHING and transfer it to SD card for the
BBB can be found here:

https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black

Once you download the u-boot source and apply all of the the obligatory
patches for BBB, you will have a buildable u-boot/SPL tree.

In lieu of generating a complete SD card image, it MAY BE possible to dd
just the MLO/u-boot.img to the eMMC on the BBB, but I think you can only do
this from a running FS on the BBB.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/bea657e2-1d31-4ce3-aef5-1506cc3de2e8%40googlegroups.com.