Hi all,

I have one silly question to start off with… I have a PocketBeagle
coming, hopefully next week, and a Lattice IceStick FPGA development
board with which I'll be teaming it up with.

The plan is to produce a logic analysis and stimulus tool.  I'll be
using GPIOs on both the PocketBeagle and the FPGA to control and monitor
some arbitrary logic circuit constructed on a bread board.

The project is detailed here: https://hackaday.io/project/28513

One question I have though regards the following warning:

--
https://github.com/beagleboard/pocketbeagle/wiki/System-Reference-Manual#71_Expansion_Header_Connectors

Now point one is fine.  It's a 3v3 device, and I plan to put a voltage
clamp circuit (two resistors, a 3V3 zener and a Schottky diode) in front
of the GPIOs anyway just to prevent accidents.

Point two worries me a bit from two points:

1. UART0 connection to a TTL-UART interface
2. Pull resistors

In the former case, it'd be nice to have access to the actual console of
the PocketBeagle.  Whether I hard-wire a USB-TTL serial adaptor or
TTL-RS232 driver chip, or whether I just expose the headers for
something to be wired up later I'm not certain, but the fact that TTL
UART always idles high, means that any driver or adapter IC I wire up to
these pins, is *going* to be presenting a voltage on the UART0 RX pin.

In the latter case, it's common for particular signals to have
pull-resistors attached.  Notably I²C, chip select lines, interrupt
lines and reset lines.  Again, the moment power is applied, a voltage
will appear on those pins.

A workaround might be to hook a MOSFET switch up to the aforementioned
SYS_RESET line (which I'm guessing is *actually* called NRST on pin
P2.26; or even a software-driven GPIO), and have that switch turn on
power to the FPGA and other peripherals.

The FPGA boots up on its own right now, but I plan to remove the EEPROM
on it so that I can just load the SRAM on it directly.  I notice though
when the EEPROM is erased that there's a slight glow of the user LEDs on
the FPGA board, which suggests to me that other pins may present a
voltage too.

12 pins of the FPGA will be hooked directly up to PRU0 pins exposed on
PocketBeagle, the thinking being this will give me a nice high-speed
8-bit wide comms link, with PRU0 providing the interface between the CPU
and FPGA.

How have others handled this requirement of not supplying voltages on
the GPIO pins during power up?

Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.