That's darned curious to be sure. Cabling issues were looked at early,
first we though it was piping through the usb, then we hooked up directly
to our gateway (a draytek vigor... notoriously glitchy routers imo) to
eliminate any dodgy structured cabling or switching gear.
Boss is going to take it home over the weekend and plug it into his home
network and try it out over entirely different hardware over a vDSL to see
if any difference can be spotted.

Many thanks for giving yours a whirl and posting the output, it gives hope
where it was once fading fast!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/3791b479-6a4e-4caa-a8c5-6232bf876683%40googlegroups.com.