Hi Drew,

I haven't used it with a BeagleBone. Creating a device tree overlay should be
easy though.

If you want to use the backlight, you need to create a node at the root level
like this:

    backlight: backlight {
        compatible = "gpio-backlight";
        gpios = <&gpio 44 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
    };

Then add a child node to the SPI device for the display kind of like this:

&spi1 {
    status = "okay";
    pinctrl-0 = <&ev3_lcd_pins>;
    pinctrl-names = "default";

    display@0{
        status = "okay";
        compatible = "jianda,jd-t18003-t01", "sitronix,st7735r";
        reg = <0>;
        spi-max-frequency = <32000000>;
        dc-gpios = <&gpio 43 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
        reset-gpios = <&gpio 80 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
        backlight = &backlight;
        rotation = <270>;
    };
};

Obviously you will need to change some things and put it in DT overlay format,
but it should get you pointed in the right direction.