Has anybody managed to get /dev/spidev1.0 working on the latest release ?

I been trying to get a spi display working and i can see data going to
the display
I can see the CS go low and i can see clocks but i do not see data from
the display.
Just trying to read status registers here.

so I decide to test the hardware with no display

I grab
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/torvalds/linux/master/tools/spi/spidev_test.c

jumper the SO and SI pins ( P9-29 and P9-30 ) and no data returned

I would think that the output should look like what is described here

https://gist.github.com/pdp7/33a8ad95efcbcc0fadc3f96a70d4b159

|debian@beaglebone:~/spi$ sudo ./spidev_test --device /dev/spidev1.0 spi
mode: 0 bits per word: 8 max speed: 500000 Hz (500 KHz) FF FF FF FF FF
FF 40 00 00 00 00 95 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
FF DE AD BE EF BA AD F0 0D but what i get is
root@bone:/home/debian/loopback# ./spidev_test --device /dev/spidev1.0
spi mode: 0x0 bits per word: 8 max speed: 500000 Hz (500 KHz) I am using
the BB-SPIDEV1-00A0.dtbo file loaded at boot any ideas or am i just
missing something |

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/e84337a4-796a-d5cb-1eb3-e759618d855f%40gmail.com.