OK, my possible understanding at this point is this:

Cape EEPROM has a name string on it.
BBB looks at that name string first and loads the matching file device tree.
For some reason, no other device tree overlays are loaded. SPI is not a
part of the overlay for this cape (confirmed by looking at their dts on
github).

I'm not really sure why it wouldn't let me go ahead and load the BB-SPIDEV
overlays from user space once the OS is already booted, or totally ignore
them in uEnv.txt.

But it seems to me the possible solutions are:
Add everything I need to the dts for this cape, recompile it and copy it
into the right place on my BBB
Or, just take the existing compiled cape-universal dtbo and copy it into
the file named to match this cape, and let that be what gets loaded.

Option #2 seems less tedious for a first crack...

Any other thoughts and comments welcome.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/742e49d5-bd08-4bec-800a-3513f48dbd60%40googlegroups.com.