On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Jeff Andich <jeff.and...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When Linux and our application is running from eMMC, we wish to be able to
> create log files on a uSD card plugged into the uSD slot on our board.
>
> I've ported some scripts which a former colleague wrote for the BeagleBone
> Black that create a mount point on a factory default SD card if the SD card
> exists, and re-formats the FAT to an ext4 partition.  Basically they used a
> udev script to trigger on the presence of /dev/mmcblk0p1 or /dev/mmcblk1p1
> and then call a shell script (from a systemd service launched by udev) for
> formatting and mounting the SD card.
>
> One key thing that that shell script did was to detect where Linux was
> running (e.g. /dev/mmcblk0p1 vs mmcblk1p1) based on examining the label of
> the storage device, and then mounting the other device if it exists.  This
> capability to handle the '/' mount point "pingponging" between /dev/mmcblk0
> and mmcblk1 was needed due to the mount point changing for the eMMC
> depending on whether an uSD card was plugged into the slot on the BeagleBone
> Black with kernel 3.8.?.
>
> However, on the baseline images I've been using for the BB-X15, I haven't
> yet observed any pingponging in that '/' always SEEMS to be mounted on
> /dev/mmcblk1 when running from eMMC and /dev/mmcblk0p1 when running from uSD
> card.  I've been working with a BB-X15 console image consisting of  (Debian
> 8.10, kernel 4.4.110, and some variant of u-boot 2017.01),
>
> ?? Will this always be the case for the BB-X15 (and other devices) or at
> least with the Debian version, kernel version, and u-boot version we're
> using??
>
> If so I'd like to take advantage of this fact in the shell script to only
> create a mount point on the SD card when it doesn't contain a Linux image
> and when '/' is mounted on /dev/mmcblk1p1.  But I'm afraid that this
> assumption may not hold and come back to bite us at some point.

According to my notes, this "randomness-race-label" condition was
first "fixed" in the v4.5.x merge and "really" fixed in v4.5.3

We back-ported these two fixes to our v4.4.x-ti tree for the bbb and bbx15.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=58821da858919f93f85c7e6823b49d439722a9e9

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=520bd7a8b4152aacfbd34eb7f7a447354b631039

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/