I only managed to get hold of a couple 1k resistors and wired them up to
the 3v3 rail and got improvements. I am going to assume the internal
pullups on the I2C device were not enabled.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YOm4FB9y9bs/WsW0xHyK3WI/AAAAAAAAJGc/6qkSRO6QV9cXpyBA8tTXxo8eE3ctkIcuwCLcBGAs/s1600/ADS00008.BMP>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/41abbc70-8bd1-47da-8958-02b563450ab5%40googlegroups.com.