Chris:
Pretty much right on.

The lxqt, full GUI, full set of programming languages, etc. are typically
in the range of 3.5 to 4 GB when loaded.
So not a lot of room left for a big project in the eMMC.

IoT stands for "Internet of things" and has everything but the GUI
interfaces loaded.
Typically about 2 GB when loaded
Intended for network connected, but no local GUI.
Things like Python, Javascript, are loaded and ready to go.
Lots of room for most project applications.

Console is about 1 GB loaded.  Minimum functional Linux installation, with
full network interfaces, no GUI.
If you want to do anything, such as to run Python, you have to load it and
its dependencies yourself.
But adding what you need with apt-get is usually easier than stripping out
a bunch of stuff from the IoT.
The best starting point for a dedicated, custom installation and
application.

--- Graham

==

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/e4c43d3e-6a0b-4d4b-b3d0-4e82a93458c2%40googlegroups.com.