Thanks for that Chris, an arp -a does not return a beaglebone default IP of
192.168.6.2 on the LAN.
I will look into the other device addresses on the network and hopefully
one of them is the BBB.

I also just thought of using the HDMI link on the board and connect to a
display and use keyboard directly off it to see what the matter is.

Will report back with results once I find a mini HDMI cable...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/d3f0c542-8a46-408f-b846-add2d2a43688%40googlegroups.com.