On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 5:55:50 PM UTC-7, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Sat, 19 May 2018 08:12:37 -0700 (PDT),
> rj...@umich.edu declaimed the following:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm trying to follow the Adafruit_BBIO UART tutorial
> >(
> https://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-io-python-library-on-beaglebone-black/installation-on-ubuntu)
>

>         That's a pretty old page, going back to Debian Wheezy, cape
> manager,
> and kernel device tree overlays.

Hey Drew, what's the current way to setup a UART with the latest
Adafruit_BBIO?

> >debian@beaglebone:/boot$ cat uEnv.txt
> >
> ># this uEnv.txt created by configure_robotics_dt
> >
> >uname_r=4.9.78-ti-r94
> >dtb=am335x-boneblack-roboticscape.dtb
> >cmdline=coherent_pool=1M
>
>         While this is using the robotics cape specific device tree... Did
> that
> device tree export the UART. Can you use the command line config-pin on
> the
> UART pins to set the mode?

The roboticscape dt doesn't expose all of the pinmux helpers, so I'm
guessing that it won't work. Still, you shouldn't need to as most of the
UARTs are already setup with that device tree.

Some good news is that if you accidentally said yes to installing the
roboticscape device tree, the installer saves a backup of the original
uEnv.txt file so you can back out the change.

https://github.com/StrawsonDesign/Robotics_Cape_Installer/blob/3d35ecbd12b7cae475cc07085cea78dea3cc53a9/device_tree/configure_robotics_dt.sh#L121

Just look for /boot/uEnv.txt.backup and copy it to /boot/uEnv.txt (after
making sure the contents are sane).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/acdcd9ac-6857-4d62-aa11-89259952c27c%40googlegroups.com.