Hi Trevor Morris,

have you tried using current sensor? i usually using these to monitor power
consumption of any electrical device that using main power source (110V~240
V AC). Mine is using 8-bit microcontroller connect to analog pin, and the
result is great. Take a look at this YHDC Non-invasive current sensor
<https://www.amazon.com/SCT-013-000-Non-invasive-Current-Transformer-Arduino/dp/B07GFH7XYD?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07GFH7XYD>

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 2:58 AM Trevor Morris <trevormorrisso...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Looking for suggestions...
>
> I have an IOT device that has a BBB with a power cape powered by a 5vdc
> psu hooked up to a switch and a 4g modem that are powered by a 24vdc psu
> all powered off of an incoming 120vac line.
>
> The power cape is setup to gracefully shut down the BBB if the power is
> off for more than 30 seconds coming off of the 5vdc psu.
>
> I'am adding an APC UPS in front of both of the smaller PSU's so that I can
> keep the entire unit connected to the network on powerloss.
>
> What I'am not sure how to approach is monitoring supply current so that
> the beagle knows when Line voltage is no longer being supplied.  Some of my
> ideas have included using one of the random sensors I see floating around
> or using a NC relay and holding it open with power.  I main want to be able
> to send an sms to myself if the power switches to the UPS and I'am
> currently less concerned about monitoring the status of the UPS or anything
> like that (although that would be cool).  More important that the device
> tells me when it goes off mains power and when it goes back on mains power
> so I can decide weather or not I need to go attend to it.
>
> Has anyone tried to do anything like this?  Any suggestions for a simple
> way to monitor when the current drops to zero with the gpio pins?  Seems
> like I should be able to do this some real ghetto, yet reliable way....
>
> Thanks

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/1607db56-bf9b-42c3-9d44-8020da8fe55c%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/1607db56-bf9b-42c3-9d44-8020da8fe55c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Rgds,

Aston
Blog <http://astonugroho.wordpress.com> | Twitter
<http://twitter.com/astonix> | LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/aston/>

"If you are working on something exciting that you really care about, you
don't have to be pushed. The vision pulls you."
(Steve Jobs)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CA%2B9kmzzK7b%3DpfJGCfE5XtrAVGzp3R3LMRmvZn1qzBV6-B3_3%2BA%40mail.gmail.com.