On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 12:08 PM Ken Shirriff <ken.shirr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to configure a bunch of pins in a device tree, and I'm unclear of how
> many fragments I need and how to name them. Specifically, I want the PRU to
> control some GPIO pins, PRU pins, and PWM pins.
>
> Looking at a typical overlay, it has:
>                __overlay__ {
> pru_gpio_pins: pinmux_pru_gpio_pins {
> pinctrl-single,pins = <
> 0x1a4 0x0f
> >;
> };
> pru_pru_pins: pinmux_pru_pru_pins {
> pinctrl-single,pins = <
> 0x1a4 0x25
> >;
> };
> };
>
> In the line "pru_gpio_pins: pinmux_pru_gpio_pins", am I correct that
> "pru_gpio_pins" is an arbitrary name that gets used in pinctrl-0? What about
> "pinmux_pru_gpio_pins" - is that arbitrary, or does this need to match
> something else? (And if it needs to match something, where is that defined?)

It's pretty arbitrary, we've just kinda defaulted to the

xyz_pins: pinmux_xyz_pins for awhile now, so it became the
un-documented default..

But there is one change on kernel.org, the second string can't use
"_", so every is defaulting "-".. (there's a dtc warning about it)

pru_gpio_pins: pinmux-pru-gpio-pins

> Also, do I need to handle GPIO pins and PRU pins separately, as above? Or is
> that for convenience / convention? And if I want to configure ehrpwm pins, do
> I need a third section, or can I lump it in with the rest?

I'd keep them separate, at one time there was a plan to have a global
list of all pinmux options, but the imx guys found out that just
bloated up the dtb too much, so they removed their's.

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYiX8RrQtwOjAf2cb3Cb0OGJwd%3DVOO6psacbOrknevttSw%40mail.gmail.com.