On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 1:18 PM <james...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I'm trying to add at least three additional GPIO chip selects in addition to
> the existing hardware CS for SPI0. I found a tutorial here:
> https://dev.iachieved.it/iachievedit/gpio-chip-selects-with-the-beaglebone/
> However, I'm trying to get this to work with the latest U-boot overlays. I've
> modified the device tree file, compiled it, added it to /boot/uEnv.txt under
> uboot_overlay_addr4. However, I'm getting this error on boot:
>
> [    1.565570] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: pin PIN84 already requested by
> ocp:P9_22_pinmux; cannot claim for 48030000.spi
> [    1.576764] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: pin-84 (48030000.spi) status
> -22
> [    1.583861] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: could not request pin 84
> (PIN84) from group pinmux_bb_spi0_pins  on device pinctrl-single
> [    1.595922] omap2_mcspi 48030000.spi: Error applying setting, reverse
> things back
> [    1.603527] omap2_mcspi: probe of 48030000.spi failed with error -22
>
> Based on my understanding, it looks like the universal cape overlay has
> already claimed the pins, and I'm now unable to set my own settings for the
> pin. Is there any way around this without decompiling / editing the universal
> cape overlay? Are there any guides on how to do this with uboot overlays?
> Unfortunately almost all the documentation revolving device trees on
> Beaglebone still revolve around the old slots architecture, and very little
> documentation is available for uboot overlays.

So the issue is, P9_22 is taken by the cape-universal, so you can't
use it for spi..

disable cape-universal in /boot/uEnv.txt

Or upgrade to v4.14.x-ti, which has cape-universal only take the pins un-used..

To better assist you with the 2nd option, please share the output of:

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYhSUYS%2BiBUwO9zUh7hCyiea5-RW8ahRp-J4daKC-D4e0g%40mail.gmail.com.