On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 11:56 PM Matthew Eargle <matt.ear...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've been working on a project involving the PocketBeagle running as a
> miniature arcade cabinet, but I'm running into a brick wall getting MAME to
> run. I have the device tree overlay set up so that it will output to an
> Adafruit 1.8" TFT screen over SPI (based on the dts file here:
> https://www.hackster.io/65300/pocketbeagle-simple-gaming-demo-f96db4),
> but I can only get as far as having the terminal showing on the screen.
>
> I'm ssh into the PB, and have installed AdvMAME per the instructions here:
> https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki/MAME
>
> However, I receive error messages when I invoke the specified command to
> set the display mode
>
> FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 advv

For me, the device shows up as /dev/fb0.  Do an 'ls /dev/fb*' to see what
devices show up. Also, be sure to post the output of 'dmesg'. Getting on a
network and doing 'dmesg | pastebinit' can be helpful.

> No active video driver is able to program your video board.
>
> Ensure to use the 'device_video_output auto' option.
> Ensure to have a Frame Buffer driver (other than VESA) in your Linux kernel.
> Try to run this program in a TERM=linux terminal.

For me, it said to add 'device_video auto' to my advmame.rc. I've got that
stored in /home/debian/.advance/advmame.rc. Adding that line made this
method for invoking 'advv' work:

sudo HOME=/home/debian advv

Use ^C to exit. Not all that familiar with how to use advv, but I managed
to select a video mode that worked for the advmame.rc I stored in my gist.
https://gist.github.com/jadonk/1b6a3c17059fe5a1977f3d1e5d12f916#file-advmame-rc

> Or to start AdvMAME (using circus ROM as an example)
> FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 advmame circus
>
> Unable to initialize the video driver. The errors are:
> fb: Works only with TERM=linux terminals.
> sdl: Unable to intialize the SDL library, Unable to open a console terminal.

I do something like:

sudo HOME=/home/debian FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb0 advmame circus

Did you do any of the installs of things like the .service files or the
example .sh file? I get that the gist at
https://gist.github.com/jadonk/1b6a3c17059fe5a1977f3d1e5d12f916 doesn't
really spell out how to do any of that, but I'm wondering if you tried.

> Now, it has been a while since I used Debian from the command line, so I
> admit that I am rusty (and likely missing something rather obvious--
> other than simply not being able to initialize a graphical output from the
> terminal emulator), but I can't--for the life of me--figure out what I'm
> doing wrong. I've even tried to run the program via a shell script on boot,
> but I still only get the login prompt on the display. I've been working on
> various permutations of this workflow for a few days now, and haven't made it
> past this point.
>
> I think the big thing is you MUST have an advmame.rc to get much of
anything to work.

> Any help is appreciated, thank you!

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/4db126fb-0a1d-4ce1-a685-d5807664913f%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/4db126fb-0a1d-4ce1-a685-d5807664913f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>