My x15 has an AM5729 on it and it has 2 DSPs and 4 EVEs[1] (Embedded Vision
Engines).  I don't know much about the EVEs, but I read somewhere that each
EVE can do 16 multiply accumulates per clock cycle.  The tidl gives you
some control over which processors (DSP or EVE) works on what part of the
problem.

I'm often seeing 15 to 30 frames per second wile recognizing objects.

--Mark

[1] http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/EVE

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/76967aac-8360-46cf-af13-61b2236c7155%40googlegroups.com.