On 2/18/2019 9:21 PM, brucejs...@gmail.com wrote:
> It's unclear to me so far why so many I/O pins are shared, creating
> exclusions, yet so many other I/O pins are left as simple GPIO.  I mean,
> can't we have both two I2C and 2 SPI at the same time, all on different
> pins ?

Use the I2C1 pins on P9.24 and P9.26 and you won't conflict with any
SPI pins.  Load the universal cape and use config-pin to set the pins
to i2c mode.

The core chip on the BBB (and just about _every_ non-trivial SoC) has
a lot of pin multiplexing to enable more features.  The BBB suffers
slightly in addition due to the fact that not all pins are available
on the P8/P9 headers, further limiting options.  A good reference for
the pin multiplexing is this spreadsheet (forked from selsinork, I
added details on pin usage for various CNC capes):

https://github.com/cdsteinkuehler/beaglebone-black-pinmux/blob/hal_pru_generic/pinmux.ods

...and of course the AM335x data-sheet and TRM from TI.

It can be frustrating trying to work through the various pin
multiplexing options, but it would be a *LOT* more frustrating not
having _any_ pinmux options!  :)

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net