maxmike <maxmikes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [-- multipart/alternative, encoding 7bit, 58 lines --]
>
>     [-- text/plain, encoding 7bit, charset: UTF-8, 21 lines --]
>

> Thank you Dennis.
>
> I don't know if this is the right place to make a comment or express an
> opinion, but be that as it may
> I have to say that gcc needs a far better error reporting mechanism. In
> java if the "compiler" encounters an
> unterminated expression at end of file, it flags it immediately. In gcc
> that error is held in abeyance for a huge
> number of lines (about 500 in my case, in multiple files) before it's
> manifested as something that seems
> completely unrelated and slightly insane.

That's nothing to do with gcc really, it's just down to C syntax.  The
compiler *can't* know until a lot later that there is an error.

I was a software engineer at BT (and spin off comapnies) for many
years, I coded in C, C++ and Java.  All of them could throw very
confusing errors, many, many lines later than the original typo or
whatver that caused it.

That said, you shouldn't really have modules 500 lines long! :-)  This
sort of problem is yet another reason for keeping functions short and
source files to a reasonable size.

--
Chris Green
ยท