On Wednesday, 15 July 2020 16:29:55 UTC+3, jaka.k...@gmail.com wrote:

> Current Beaglebone Black images offer support for high resolution timers
> in Linux kernel. They are controlled by ktime.h library and depend on
> system's clocks (CLOCK_MONOTONIC, CLOCK_REALTIME,...). The clocks can be
> looked up from userspace programs with commands clock_gettime
> <https://linux.die.net/man/2/clock_gettime>, clock_settime and
> clock_getres from time.h library.
> What I would like to do is make/write a protocol in c that would
> synchronize realtime clocks between two boards over ethernet cable
> connection or internet. My goal is testing how accurately two clocks can be
> set to the same global time under different protocols. I'm planning to
> start with ntp, would using an existing library or client make sense here?
> I read BBB sometimes comes with daemons for ntp, in that case how would I
> set one board to act as a server in protocol?

Note that the Beaglebone Debian images use a small systemd service called
systemd-timesyncd to set the system RTC. This service queries current time
via SNTP (on boot, and periodically while the system is running) and
updates /dev/rtc0 with the received time. Perhaps you can get started with
that simple, out-of-box feature?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-timesyncd
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-timesyncd.service.html

--