HI Mark,
was trying to use the loop instruction .....
   .global ausgabe
ausgabe:
   ldi     r18, 0              ; initialisation
   ldi     r30, 0x10           ; debug
   ldi     r17, 0x00           ; debug
   mov     r20, r15            ; save start addresss
   mov     r21, r14            ; save number of pattern
naechster:
   loop    next_pattern, r14   ; for each pattern
   lbbo    &r30, r15, 4, 1     ; output (r15) = pattern
   lbbo    &r17, r15, 0, 2     ; load number of delay loops
   loop    weiter, R17         ; delay loop
weiter:
   add     r15, r15, 5         ; increment address pointer by 5 ( next data
structure element )
next_pattern:
   mov     r15, r20            ; load saved start address in address
pointer
   mov     r14, r21            ; load saved number of pattern in pattern
counter
   lbbo    &r18, r16, 0, 1     ; check if stop request
   or      r30, r30, (1<<4)    ; debug
   qbeq    naechster, r18, 0   ; if handshake[0] == 0 continue
   jmp     r3.w2               ; otherwise return r3 contains return address

I used prudebug to test the behavior.
So the loop instruction is not known ( UNKNOWN in disassembler list )
Is not a solution for Beaglebone black.
Assembler did not warn or complain.

Bottom line ... independent of the above code, I'm missing the 200MHz
performance,
I'm far away, seems to be 20:1 .... if I think in 5nsec instruction time
cycles for register operations.

There is something else .... up to now no idea what it can be.

Thanks for help and thinking
Kasimir