Dennis Lee Bieber <dennis.l.bie...@gmail.com> wrote:

>         I'm surprised this post even came through. The beagleboard forum
> /moved/ to a new web-based-only system (which I have refused to fight with

I suspect this will carry on working. :-)   Good!

> -- I tried but found it cryptic and unusable for someone accustomed to
> newsreader clients which fetch all messages in a batch and permit later
> send, fetch next message")
>
>         The Google Groups forum has been abandoned.
>
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 16:50:11 +0100, in gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user
> Chris Green <cl-rxdkphot...@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> >If one has a BBB which normally boots from eMMC is it possible to
> >write a script that will reboot from the microSD card?
> >

>         On current Beagle systems, it is u-Boot which determines the boot
> device dynamically.
>
>         That is:
>
>                 By default the u-Boot in the eMMC starts processing
>
>                 It then scans for a bootable uSD card
>
>                 If a valid uSD card is found, it toggles the boot device to
> be the
> uSD card, and proceeds to load the configuration from the uSD card;
> otherwise it continues to load the configuration from the eMMC
>
>         If there is no u-Boot (and maybe other files) found on the eMMC, the
> SoC [hardware] boot sequence is to look for a valid uSD card and load
> u-Boot from that card.
>
>         The end state: if a bootable uSD card exists, it automatically becomes
> the booted image, skipping the rest of the eMMC (u-Boot comes from the
> first version found: eMMC then uSD).
>
>         Prior to this form of u-Boot, one was required to hold down the
> boot-select button on the BBB to force uSD card load. But that form of
> u-Boot vanished near the end of the Wheezy era (Debian 7). This was also
> the days of kernel loaded device tree overlays -- u-Boot loaded overlays
> came in during the Jessie (Debian 8) era. The two u-Boots are totally
> INCOMPATIBLE with Debian versions of the other style (Wheezy u-Boot does
> not load DTOs, but Jessie and later Debian kernels expect to find the DTOs
> already loaded).
>
>         I don't know enough about u-Boot and uEnv.txt to know if there is some
> way to modify uEnv.txt to /not/ transfer control to the uSD card except
> when you want to do you back-up stuff.

OK, thanks, I suspect it may be rather more difficult than I had hoped.

What I'm aiming for is a Pi/BBB type system that can clone itself
automatically every day or so.  That would allow me to have a fairly
quick to implement backup for my Pi (could justas well be a BBB) that
provides DHCP/DNS on my LAN.

--
Chris Green
ยท