Yep, be careful of things like 4-20 mA sensors, they often send 24V to the
output when being turned on.  That’s where some capacitance across the input
pins will really help.  For motor controllers or anything vaguely industrial,
it’s best to use optocouplers, I’ve had good results with VO618As.  I2C devices
are pretty tame, not a lot needed for these.

-Cheers