On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 6:08 PM, <ander...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Start:  Just started using Beancount this month.  Yeah!  We get paid once
> a month.  Usually a day or five before the 1st of the month (depending on
> weekends, etc).  So our month starts with the paycheck and goes to the next
> and need to live within that.
>
> Either way, I need to make a monthly expense report for a previous month
> and to be able to run it at any time within the middle of the current month.

I don't see any problem so far.

I will need to break out various expenses:
> . tithing  (currently set up as a Liability)
> . Savings (money moved out to other accounts)
> . Housing (mortgage, upkeep, savings to replace furnature, etc)
> . Utilities (keep the lights on)
> . Insurance
> . etc, etc, etc
>
> Just to see where the money is going.  And a custom report is the way to
> go....  Either way, I am searching around the various given reports and
> learning curve is there.

You might want to start here:
http://furius.ca/beancount/doc/sql

Likely the SQL report will be sufficient.
Otherwise, look into the income statement. What you seem to want is an
income statement over a particular period of time, something like this:

  select account, sum(position) where date >= 2016-09-01 group by account

There's no arithmetic operations yet (I started, but it's unfinished), so
you'll have to enter the date for now.

> Where would I put a custom report?  are there any examples (maybe a series
> of scripted query statements?)?  and where would I get some help with my
> first report?

There are many example custom reports here:
https://bitbucket.org/blais/beancount/src/tip/src/python/beancount/reports/
You would write your own reports script to invoke it (I haven't provided a
way to register just a report class, not sure if it's wanted, nobody asked
for it yet.)