If there's a better way to infer the time periods from something else I'd
suggest not baking those periods into tags.

About the error: There's a little precedence bug with sets, just put
parentheses around ('2016-09' in tags), it should work. Sorry about that,
that's a known bug (I have an old ticket somewhere).