Martin Blais <> writes:

> That's one way to solve it, but there's a better way.
> Rounding it manually like this will be time-consuming, probably.

> The problem here is that because you haven't used digits on "400",
> the tolerance for balancing EUR currencies in this transaction is 0,
> meaning it has to match perfectly. With such a rate this is virtually
> impossible.

Ahh…thank you for explanation. Btw, this is residue from Gnucash where,
probably, it does not make a difference.

> Try making 400 -> 400.00 instead, and now the inferred tolerance will
> be 0.005 EUR, and it will work. I also don't suggest this method,
> because it will be manual - just putting it out there to illustrate
> how the tolerances are inferred from the digits that are presented in
> the file.

I agree.

> Now, a much better solution would be to tell Beancount what tolerance
> to use when none can be inferred, like here. You would do this once,
> at the top of your file, with this option:
> option "inferred_tolerance_default" "EUR:0.005"
> That should probably be enough.

It is and it’s very nice!

> You could do this for all the currencies you have which aren't using
> digits very often.

> If you'd like to learn more about how tolerances are inferred
> automatically and how defaults are handled, you can read this
> document:

I’ll do.

> I hope this helps,

Surely it does. ;)

Even a man of knowledge acts according to his own nature, for
everyone follows the nature he has acquired from the three modes.
What can repression accomplish?

To post to this group, send email to
For more options, visit