This seemed on-topic enough (I hope). While testing a fix
https://bitbucket.org/blais/beancount/issues/217/cannot-invoke-top-level-scripts,

I was inspired to do some amount of installation matrix testing just to get
a feel for what does or does not work currently. I am not implying that all
of these should work or should be supported, and in fact, it seems sane
only no target an explicit subset.

Installation sources:

   - An sdist created with distutils
   - An sdist created with setuptools
   - The repo source itself ("installing from source")

Installation methods:

   - python setup.py install (with distutils)
   - python setup.py install (with setuptools)
   - pip install

...also, one extra case of bdist_wheel built with wheel/setuptools and
installed with pip.

Observations:

   - pip-installing source or distutils-created sdist works fine
   - pip-installing a bdist_wheel works fine
   - setuptools-created sdists are broken due to use of 'data_files' to
   distribute beancount.el. I.e., as is, releases must be baked sans
   setuptools. (`python -m venv --without-pip ENV` can be used to hide from
   setuptools, if installed)
   - On my box, compilation failed trying to setup.py install (with
   setuptools) from source or from a distutils-created-sdist. On Windows and
   Ubuntu/WSL.

I'm happy the first two cases worked. I don't necessarily care about the
third case, except that it means a mixed sdist/bdist_wheel release would
require care to avoid producing the sdist from a fully-loaded
wheels/setuptools environment.

Anyway, did the grunt work of hand-testing those cases and figured I might
as well share...

-Jeff