On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 3:31 AM, Einar S. Idsø <einar.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Martin,

>>> Great! Would this require modifications to the core, or can it be
>>> implemented through a plugin?
>>>

>> I'm not sure, but I think it may require inserting code in the booking
>> algorithms.
>> Best is to try it out.
>>

> So I'm reading up on your documentation to further my understanding and
> prepare for import script development, and I came across the idea of
> supporting stock splits in the booking proposal doc (
> http://furius.ca/beancount/doc/proposal-booking);
>
> "Stock splits need to be able to maintain some of the original attributes
> of the position, specifically, the original trade date and the
> user-specified label, if one has been provided.
> This should allow a common syntax to specify an original trading lot when
> reducing a position after a split."
>
> If I understood this correctly, then this functionality would also cover
> the case of moving a position from one account to another while maintaining
> trading lot information for performing correct reductions, as requested
> above?

Actually it's not the accounts that change, but rather the currencies.  I
don't see the link between moving positions between accounts.

The complications arising from stock splits stem in how one represents the
currencies (I think).
Each currency has to become multiple variations of an ideal one. So you
have the currency, but its various incarnations over time.

> If so, do you have any idea if and when the stock split proposal may be
> implemented?

About time: not for a while. These are fairly rare events that can be
handled well currently by explicitly converting the positions to different
versions of a currency. Or just converting to the same currency and making
sure there's a price update on the day the split occurs (which results in
price series with cliffs - not the best solution), but the harm is of minor
importance.