Thanks for the reply.

I will try to use the environment variable method and report back.

In the service file, I set the ExecStart value as follows.

ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/fava --host localhost --port 5000 --prefix /fava /
home/alice/beancount/main.beancount

That last item is the path to the main.beancount file. Does fava act as a
user that does not have permission to read the file in that location?