- The reason your transaction has no postings is because is has errors.
When some group of postings cause an error, they are discarded and an error
is issued:

/home/blais/r/q/beancount-data/user/lluispamies/2018nov.beancount:5:
 No position matches "Posting(account='Assets:Vanguard:401k:FUNDA',
units=-12.184 FUNDA, cost=CostSpec(number_per=Decimal('32.53'),
number_total=None, currency='USD', date=None, label=None, merge=False),
price=None, flag=None, meta={'filename':
'/home/blais/r/q/beancount-data/user/lluispamies/2018nov.beancount',
'lineno': 6})" against balance (12.184 FUNDA {32.04 USD, 2017-02-10})

   2017-02-23 * "Exchange"
     Assets:Vanguard:401k:FUNDA  -12.184 FUNDA {32.53 USD}
     Assets:Vanguard:401k:FUNDB   12.188 FUNDB {32.52 USD}

(I've been meaning to make this easier to debug but I haven't chosen a good
way / how to keep the postings on failed checks yet. The reason bean-doctor
context doesn't show anything is that the transaction stripped of its
failed postings doesn't have any accounts to list. This could be improved.)

- You cannot reduce units at cost {32.53 USD} because you don't have any.
You deposited units at {32.04 USD}.

- Your change to auto_account is probably buggy, because when I set it up
explicitly, e.g.,

2017-01-01 open Assets:Vanguard:401k:FUNDA  "NONE"
2017-01-01 open Assets:Vanguard:401k:FUNDB  "NONE"

I get an expected balance error (so it works).