I have both and switch and git checkout and rebuild back and forth.
Requires PYTHONPATH and local repos, not installed

Beangulp will be sync'ed to master/v3 and if something it depends on
changes in beancount and you're running it on top of a v2 install it might
break so at some point compatibility may break.

Beangulp/beangrow/beanlabs and other repos are all assumed to work only
with v3 like that. It's the new world. Beanprice is an exception: it's
only  dependent on beancount at the edges (for output syntax, for optional
extracting lists of currencies from the ledger, it barely needs a few
imports, and will be decoupled, beancount dependencies isolated, i.e. a
hledger user without a beancount install should be able to use it) and
Kirill wants support for both v2 and v3.

Why not find a way to have two setups?

You could run your v2 installed with virtualenv, and your v3 setup like me
from clones. That should work. FWIW, right now v3 still runs fine without
the new compilation, the new c++ code is incomplete and not hooked up yet,
it's living on the side in the ccore and cparser directories on branch
master. At some point it'll switch over and it'll require a big fat bazel
build to do anything at all but we're not close to that yet. Also, there
will be a switchover to a public API as well at some point (all code
outside the beancount repo will use a single import just like numpy, and
that probably will break any circumstancial compatibility with v2 for
projects that migrate to that api).